Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:27:15 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fonts in Gnome2

I am trying to access some fonts in Gnome2, but I find that the font
string used by Gnome 2 to access fonts is just too limited.  In
particular, it forces the 'adstyl' (as listed by xfontsel) to nil rather
than *, which severely limits the available fonts.  For instance, all of
my true type fonts seem to have adstyl of "regular", so when I try to
select them, Gnome rejects them because it cannot find the font of the
form -ttf-arial-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1, since the
actual font is
-ttf-arial-medium-r-normal-regular-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1.  Now if the
standard pattern included a -*- between the width and the pixel size
instead of just --, the number of fonts would increase.  Or, I need some
way to change the -regular- to --.  My fonts.dir files do not have a
parameter in the place where the -regular- appears in xfontsel, so I am
uncertain where it is being introduced.

I am running xfstt to serve the true type fonts.  Also, I have X running
with freetype, type1 and speedo modules loaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
/Joe