Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:46:11 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   why did cvsup cvsup me from 4.0-stable to 4.1RC?

I realise that the simple answer to that is "because you asked for it"

however, I merrily cvsuped last night, as is my habit on a Sunday :

*default host=cvsup.fi.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.

After the usual shenanigins with merge and make and  shake and bake

uname  -r  :   4.1-RC

This, to me, indicates that I have some fundamental misunderstandings re cvsup /
release tags . I thought the above would track  4-stable in perpetuity.

so what have I done wrong  ?

(If any of my ex-wives are reading this please limit your answers  to the cvsup
query.)

Should I care?

does  4.1 = 4.0+ so many fixes and enhancements we decided to have a new
release nuimber?

Will this my cvsup file  eventually track  4.1-STABLE?

all attempts to lift my fog of confusion gladly received.

 --
Mark Rowlands  +4686224510  GMT + 1