Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:38:36 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa wrote:
> >
> > - PCIC is an ISA device. PCIC handles bus, yet the bus is not the
> > bus PCIC belongs to. Please note that a PCIC is an ISA device and
> > a bridge between ISA bus and PC Card bus. Also, if you see codes
> > on NetBSD, bus dependent code and handling bridge is different.
>
> I just wish this PCIC is ISA/PCIC is not ISA would get settled...
> Can anyone on the not ISA camp *PROVE* it is not an ISA device? If
> it is not an ISA device, it ought to be possible to show a case A
> where an ISA device behaves in such an such way and PCIC does not.

It's not "an ISA device".

Specifically, it's "not an ISA device" in the same way that the NE2000
is "not an ISA device".

ISA refers to the electrical bus used to connect to the device.  Most
modern PCICs are actually compatability-mode implementations inside
PCI-connected devices.

More significantly, however, the issue is "the PCIC does not need to be
treated as an ISA device", and "it is more useful to treat the PCIC as
a bridge between the nexus and the PCCARD bus".

Treating the PCIC like an ISA device just makes things more difficult.

> > - sysctl is the last way to go. It can't work unless the module is
> > loaded after boot.  There are also other problems loading the
> > driver with current KLD.
>
> That is incorrect. It can be set through loader at load time. This
> is not hypothetical, it is the present state for PCIC.

They're actually quite right here.

However, the IRQ should not need to be set.  It should be automatically
determined.  Arguing about how to set it is wrong.