Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:09:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rodsmith@rodsbooks.com (Rod Smith)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make a headless box

---Reply to mail from Corey Snow about Make a headless box
> I've got a 486 DX2/66 that I've managed to get bridging with ipfw
> between my DSL and LAN. Since I have a bunch of systems and not much
> room on the KVM switch, and this is effectively an appliance once
> it's tuned properly, I'd like to make it headless- remove the video
> and keyboard entirely, making it accessible via ssh or nullmodem only.

If you're willing to drop some money on it, one option is the PC Weasel:

http://www.realweasel.com

This is a card that tells the computer it's a video card, but in fact
it has a serial port on it, so you can use any terminal or remote
computer as the console. (It also passes through the serial port's
input to the keyboard connector.) This can help a lot because it gives
you access to the PC's BIOS from the serial console, which is something
that a kernel with serial console support can't do. A couple of
caveats: First, I've not used this hardware, so I can't say how well it
works in practice. Second, although it sounds pretty slick, I'm not
sure if it's worth the price ($250 for the ISA version, $350 for the
PCI board) for casual use.

--
Rod Smith
rodsmith@rodsbooks.com