Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:26:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Srzednicki <winfried@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATA suggestion

Hello,

Recently I had some problems with my ATA drive; I was using the CMD 649
chipset on auxilary controller card and my system halted several times
with errors on resetting the first drive (which was running in UDMA 100
mode). I took a different controler (CMD 649 compatible, different
vendor), but that didn't work. I'm suspecting that the drive doesn't like
the UDMA 100 mode (although it says it does ;). It worked fine on 33 for
more than one year.

The point is that I miss some option to downgrade the ATA mode - like I
want to set UDMA 66 for that drive, not UDMA 100 (maybe it would help),
but I couldn't find any option to do so. Is it hard to make some sysctl
setting which would force given mode (assuming the drive supports it of
course)? Some time ago I had a similar problem with a drive that was
detected as 66 on 40-wire cable (it was a slave drive; the master was an
ATAPI CDROM working in UDMA 33 mode, hw.ata.atapi_dma turned on). The
drive failed to work in DMA at all, and it dropped to PIO mode. I think
the solutian would be just forcing the 33 mode.. but..

--
Winfried
mail: winfried@dream.vg  http://violent.dream.vg  JS500-RIPE