Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:23:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@ophelia.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kerberos (me too! <g>)

I've had some trouble with Kerberos on my system, (2.2.5-RELEASE) and I'm
looking for information on who to remove it completely. Do all the
binaries (passwd, etc.) need to be recompiled, or is it just a library, or
something else?

When I originally installed, I just said 'yes' to all the encryption
stuff, not thinking much about it. Kerberos caused the (I know, harmless)
"Not in correct ACL" message when I used 'su'. I got the bright idea to
try to play with kerberos some. I got it basically working by reading the
instructions in the Handbook. But now whenever I try to use 'passwd' for
example, it tries to change the Kerberos password (which it is unable to
do) and I can't figure out how to change the Unix password at all. Here is
what happens:

ophelia ~
178% passwd
realm SHARDING.UOREGON.EDU
Old password for sharding: <I enter my Kerberos password here>
New Password for sharding:
Verifying password - New Password for sharding:
kpasswd: Could not connect to server  attempting to change password.
Password NOT changed.

At this point, I'm not really interested in why Kerberos is misbehaving.
I'd just like to get rid of it and have it off of my system completely.

I've spent a lot of time looking through FAQs, etc. and I really haven't
found decent information. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the
Kerberos documentation (not FreeBSDs, just in general) is some of the
worst I've seen. <sigh>.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

--
"Believe me, the truth is we're not honest. Not the people that we dream."
 --10,000 Maniacs, "Eden"