Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:05:47 -0500
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel

Is it my imagination or lack of attention, or a problem?

It appears that if I disklabel a drive on a PC, the label will not be
visible on an Alpha?

Why do that?  Linux fdisk (on the alpha) is a bit broken, so I thought
to disklabel on a PC and move the disks.  No cigar.

So, either this is the case, or the two are so incompatible that they
write/read totally different areas on the disk.

BTW, Linux thinks that there is partition 4 on the disks.  fdisk on the
FreeBSD-i386 side confirms that.

Yes, I followed the handbook guide and wiped out the first megabyte of
/dev/da16, then disklable -Br, etc.  No cigar.

--

Sincerely,

Simon Shapiro
Research Fellow                               ShapiroS@MindSpring.com
MindSpring Enterprises, Inc.                   404.815.0770 ext. 2057