Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      petersontr@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fwd: Glen Peterson from Wisconsin. Some questions

Dear Sir:

I have been thinking about installing your FreeBSD onto some of my extra PC=
's that I have laying around, just to see what that Unix OS can do on my PC=
. I have a few questions, though, before I order your Install Disk to do th=
at. I spoke to your receptionist there on 30 July, and she suggested that I=
 write to you with my detailed questions before I went ahead an purchased y=
our well-recommended OS:

1. I have a Dell Dimension 3000 PC with a 32-bit Intel processor in it. It =
has 2G's of RAM, and a 250GB hard drive under Windows OS, currently. I use =
A.T.&T. as my ISP and I have a DSL line supplied by A.T.& T. May I install =
your OS onto an external 80 GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Model ST380021A har=
d drive, and boot off of that into BSD and have it run on that Dell compute=
r? The BIOS Chip seems to support external drives and USB sticks, since I h=
ave successfully used the later to boot this PC into Debian Linux.

2. Do you have a version of your free BSD program with a graphical user int=
erface (like that seen on Mac's and Windows boxes) that will run on that sa=
me Dell Dimension 300, mentioned above?

3. How much does the install CD cost me, including shipping to the Milwauke=
e area, for the Free BSD OS that will run on said computer?

4. I have another PC at work that has a 32-bit AMD chip in it with 1GB RAM =
and 250 GB under Vista OS, currently. Do you likewise have a version of you=
r latest Free BSD that will run on THIS machine in a graphical environment =
like that mentioned for the Dell computer above from the same external 80 G=
B Seagate hard drive?

5. Does the OS come with an application, like I have observed with some Lin=
ux distros, that enables me to get updates as they become available?

Does your FreeBSD come with its own browser? If not, may I still connect to=
 the web by some means to obtain a BSD-compatible browser (e.g., Firefox) t=
hat will run on this OS on either of the two computers above?

Sincerely,

Glen A. Peterson
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
(262) 780-1856 (W, C.D.T.)but OK to call there)
PetersonTR@aol.com

=20

=20