Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:44:31 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: default value of security.bsd.hardlink_check_[ug]id

--a1QUDc0q7S3U7/Jg

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 09:08:42PM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
> FreeBSD Architects,
>=20
> I'd like to make security.bsd.hardlink_check_[ug]id default to 1, starting
> with FreeBSD 7.x.  This would make it impossible for a user to create a h=
ard
> link to a file which he does not own.
>=20
> Any objections?

One here, on the grounds that:

 a) you have provided no rationale;
 b) that sysctl does not currently seem to be documented anywhere, so
     changing its default value would violate POLA.

There is a longer answer in which I pine after Solaris' privileges(5)
again, or wonder if this can be implemented for "system" processes only
using the new priv(9) API instead.

Ceri
--=20
                                                  -- Moliere