Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:13:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling Softupdates in default install on -CURRENT

    I tell you guys, I *REALLY* hate the idea of using a memory filesystem
    for /tmp.  My softupdates-enabled /var/tmp (/tmp linked to /var/tmp)
    is 500MB but even with smaller temporary spaces using MFS/MD for it would
    be the absolute LAST thing I would ever want to do.  MFS/MD disk
    partitions are fine if you have enough memory to cover the size of the
    partition without screwing up the VM for the rest of the machine,
    but not so hot in any other scenario.

						-Matt

:> > be mounting a memory-based filesystem on /tmp. Indeed you should
:> > do that in any event - setting up a memory-based /tmp should
:> > be part of the default setup script.
:>
:> Unfortunately we don't have a very satisfying memory-based file system
:> at this time.
:>
:> The last time I tried it (6 mo. ago), md(4) rushed pages out to the
:> backing swap vs.  being smarter about what to flush from the buffer
:> cache.  I was getting the same performance with a real FFS /tmp and a
:> large amount of core.  The malloc(9) mdmfs is always 100% core resident.
:
:I personally set up a 100MB FFS/SoftUpdates /tmp partition for every
:computer I install FreeBSD on.  I like separating the root fs from the fs
:for /tmp, plus it means that I don't lose performance by the non-SoftUpdates
:root fs since /tmp isn't on it.  The only reason I have for making it a real
:partition instead of an mdfs is that I like the space to be preallocated
:regardless of swap.
:--
: Brian Fundakowski Feldman           \  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!  /