Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:00:55 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Lawrence Fitzgerald <anyedge@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicate Sound Devices Detected...Sound Not Working

Quoting Lawrence Fitzgerald <anyedge@gmail.com> (from Mon, 1 Mar 2010
16:18:27 -0500):

> Hello, I am currently running PCBSD 8.0 on my Sager NP2096 laptop and I am
> having problems with the sound detection:
>
> root@pcbsd-8111# dmesg | grep pcm
> pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0

Is this after a cold or a warm boot? There are systems out there,
where the dmesg output of a previous boot can be seen in the following
boot. So it can be the case that there is just two times the boot
messages in the dmesg.

you can confirm by either reading it completely and verifying if there
is two times the full dmesg, or by shutting down the system for a
minute (cold start) and grep again.

> root@pcbsd-8111# cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda
> [MPSAFE] (1p:5v/1r:4v channels duplex default)

This is the real audio input/output.

> pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
> snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:2v/0r:0v channels simplex)

This is audio via your graphic card (HDMI cable).

> KMixer shows two sets of "OSS Audio" tabs available--both with "Front" and
> "PCM" slide bars. I can individually set the settings for each "OSS Audio"
> tab, but there is still no sound. I did have sound with the PCBSD7 series.  I
> was advised to send an email here to see if anyone had any thoughts/ideas.
> Any help would be great.  Thank you.

Did you try each sound input/output socket? If not, set all mixer
devices to a value which should let sound go through, and then try
them *all* please. It may be the case that there is a misunderstanding
between the software and the hardware which one to use.

Please also read "man snd_hda" for what you can try if there is no sound.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
He who is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.