Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 00:06:27 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd(?) sh/make behaviour.

On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 10:32:15AM +0000, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> On a vaguely related note (I'm trying to port some of the FreeBSD makefiles
> to use GNU make), does anyone know how to emulate the
>
>     .if !target(foo)
>     foo: bar
>             do_something
>     .endif
>
> construct in GNU make? I spent most of yesterday working through the
> documentation, Alta Vista and Deja News in search of an answer, and came
> up with none.

Yeah - the following should do it:

# .if !target(foo)
foo: bar
	do_something
# .endif

The first rule encountered are used, while the last variable
definition encountered is used.  Thus, just defining the target
without any .if's should work.

Now, have anybody got a good way of exporting variables from BSD make
for me?  .export seems to be missing...  (Yes, I know I can type them
in for a recursive make, but it doesn't quite fit my standards of
'user friendliness'.)

> I suspect it might (in the long term) be simpler to port the BSD make to
> Solaris.

You're probably right.  I'll see if we might happen to have a port of
bmake for Solaris lying around - I seem to remember some of my
co-workers saying they did one for a project here.

Eivind.