Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:35:38 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beep after shutdown

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 01:27 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
| Sean Hamilton wrote:
| > The fact that FreeBSD does not beep after it finishes shutting down has
| > costed me dozens of hours of reformatting inconsistent filesystems, and
| > probably all sorts of little bits of data loss which I'm just unaware of.
| > I've tried to hack this into the kernel myself, without much luck. The
| > best I got it to do was start beeping but never end, since the timer
| > related stuff had already been killed off. This wound up being more
| > irritating than useful.
| >
| > Anybody clueful want to point me in the right direction?
|
| I agree.
|
| If it could beep after powering off, that would be useful, too.
|
| I ...er ...uh ...what the heck are you talking about?

Obviusly for older hardware that can't power itself off, so that you know
when it's done before you hit the power switch.  Personally I don't
understand the problem since I usually can look at the screen display and
even if I can't I can hear the disk spinning down but maybe his disks are too
quiet.  The display problem presumably arises on a setup with no console
where he's shutting down via an ssh command or something.  Ssh gets cut off
before the machine actually finishes shutting down, of course, so it's hard
to tell when it finishes.  And presumably if you are in the middle of noisy
machine room it's hard to hear the disk spin down.

So he wants a hardware beep to tell him it's safe.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org