Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:11:59 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

> >Maybe they find quote marks annoying in our novels.

> To me, the most annoying misuse of quotes in English is for emphasis.
> Italics, boldface, or all caps are less confusing.

I prefer to use single quotes to show emphasis, although I find that
placing an asterisk around the word works best in e-mail.  Of course,
it all depends on the level of emphasis one is going for.

The joys of standards, that are anything but standard anymore.  :-)

> My guess is that this misuse arises because one sometimes sees
>  quotes used as an editorial device to express sarcasm or
> incredulity at the use of a word or term. (An equivalent
> "quotes" gesture is often used in face-to-face conversation.)
> But apparently, some folks who don't get the sarcasm mistake
> both the typographical convention and the gesture as signifying
> emphasis.

Ugh!  I can't stand it when people use the curled-fingers "" to show
sarcasm.  Unless they are very young, it makes them look very silly.
:-)  Just emphasize / sarcastify your comment using tone/expression.

Freddie
Software Support Co-op
School District 73
fcash@sd73.bc.ca