Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:09:26 +0100
From:      Antonio Nati <A.Nati@cisco.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kerberos basic questions

I'm trying to figure how to use kerberos in my environment.

I have three WEB servers and a PPP server (all with FreeBSD 2.1.5), and I
would like to have only one authentication service for all the boxes.

As far as I'm seeing in my first 2.2.5 installation, kerberos doesn't
manage at all all the supplemental information (uid, gid, home, etc) that
are essential to define an user.

So I imagine that I should anyway create new users with adduser on any
system where they should work, adding them later to the kerberos database
and using kerberos only to assure them fast logins on the various systems.
Is that right?

Other three questions.

1) Is there any kerberos mechanism in the last versions of apache?

2) Is the usage of Kerberos completely transparent or the programs must be
modified in order to use it? The LOGIN options of the pppd server is going
to check the kerberos database or it simply checks against the passwd file?

3) Given the fact that I have a small amount of POP users already working,
how to populate the kerberos database starting from the existing passwd
file (and passing from MD5 to DES)?

Thanks a lot,

Tonino