Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:15:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      tim peters <tim@lost.net.au>
To:        G-der <gder@gder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 forwarding through sshd

On Fri, 31 May 2002, G-der wrote:

G> Okay, I figured out the problem with the port forwarding.  It turns out
G> I was missing some libraries but now that I have them installed port
G> forwarding seems to be working fine again.
G>
G> Now when I log in (and I have tried this both from work and at home on
G> my local network) I get this error:
G>
G> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "dinkey:10.0" in
G> "add" command
G>
G> At home I can manually set the display variable (10.0.0.2:0) and it
G> works just fine.  At work if I set the display variable like I always
G> have:
G>
G> (in tcsh)  setenv DISPLAY {$REMOTE}:0
G>
G> it sets the variable but is never able to open the display.  It could
G> have something to do with our firewall but I am going out through a
G> socks proxy and have not had problems with it in the past.
G>
G> The curious thing though is the fact that the display variable is not
G> being set up properly.  It seems like something other than my .tcshrc
G> file is setting the display variable.

Yep, sshd sets up the DISPLAY variable when you log in.  It
should be of the form remotehost.domain:x.0, where x is number,
probably 10 or above.  This causes all X communication to go
through the encrypted channel.  So changing DISPLAY to where the
X server is will defeat the purpose of running via ssh :)

Anyway, you need to get rid of the "bad display name" error.  I'm
not sure exactly how.  Perhaps "dinkey" doesn't resolve from the
remote machine?  Are there any weird things in your login scripts
which could be interfering with sshd's tunneling?  Again, running
with "ssh -v" might help.

G> Any more sugestions would be more than welcome, otherwise I'm sure if I
G> plug away long enough I'll be sure to figure it out.
G>
G> Thanks in advance

Hope you work it out.  Remember to post how you fixed it if you
find out, for future generations :)

--
tim@lost.net.au