Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:24:00 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

At 5:15 PM -0400 6/8/01, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>  8) Company fires core developers and hires web administrators to
>  update the project pages in preparation for the horde of opensource
>  programmers about to work for free.
>  9) The development of the product slows down significantly and the
>  free workers that were expected end up being only testers.
>  10) Project is forgotten.
>  11) Project dies slowly (it was a project wasn't it?).

	Yup.  The key thing that many companies seem to be forgetting is
that with the "waterfall" or "waterfountain" development models, the
initial development costs are relatively minimal, compared to the
ongoing maintenance costs.

	The trick is to hang onto the core developers and have most of
them continuing to focus on new development (and paying them the kind
of commercial salaries it costs to get the quality development in a
reasonable timeframe), and a small team that works as coordinators of
the open source maintenance side.

	The company does what companies do well -- spend money doing
initial development.  It lets the community do what communities do
well -- supporting existing products with a reduced cost by trading
volunteer effort for money.

	This is the open source model that I believe actually works.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */