Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:55:10 -0500
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-java <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   OpenJDK 1.7 has issues versus linux-sun-jdk17

Hi,

I've been working with the OpenNMS people for about 3 weeks and we've
narrowed it down to it being a problem with OpenJDK1.7.

Please note the following from Ron Roskens at the OpenNMS project:

On 12/14/2014 15:53, Ronald Roskens wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2014, at 10:27 PM, Ronald Roskens<roskens@elfin.net>  wrote:
>>
>> I was able to get the unit tests after that to run through to completion.
>>
>> I’ve checked my fixes for NMS-7254, NMS-7257, and NMS-7260 into a branch roskens/freebsd-build in the repository, and its just starting it run through the bamboo CI process.
>>
>> If its without any errors I’ll see about getting it merged into master & develop branches.
>>
>> I am cautiously optimistic that you could run a build of OpenNMS 14.0.2 on FreeBSD 10.1 with OpenJDK 1.7.0_71-b14. I think any further problems uncovered would likely be FreeBSD JVM specific issues with OpenJDK.
>>
>> Ron
> My optimism has been greatly diminished because on running the build after about 10 minutes, the JVM crashed with a fatal error:
>
> #
> # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000803a4d4ae, pid=84602, tid=35353228288
> #
> # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0-b14) (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
> # Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.71-b01 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
> # Problematic frame:
> # j  java.net.SocketException.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;)V+0
> #
> # Core dump written. Default location: /cores/core or core.84602
>

> When I tried to run OpenNMS with the linux-sun-jdk17 it runs, but I got this error in web.log when I tried to access the web interface.
>
> 2014-12-14 14:17:14,213 WARN  [Main] o.e.j.u.c.AbstractLifeCycle: FAILED org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector$ConnectorSelectorManager@131fc7e: java.io.IOException: Function not implemented
> java.io.IOException: Function not implemented
>          at sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.epollCreate(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
>          at sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.<init>(EPollArrayWrapper.java:130) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
>          at sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorImpl.<init>(EPollSelectorImpl.java:68) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
>          at sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorProvider.openSelector(EPollSelectorProvider.java:36) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
>          at java.nio.channels.Selector.open(Selector.java:227) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
> …
>
> Which I take to mean that the FreeBSD Linux kernel emulator doesn’t implement the epoll interface.
>
> Creating $OPENNMS_HOME/etc/opennms.conf with:
> ADDITIONAL_MANAGER_OPTIONS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider"
>
> Then its up and running.
>
> Ron
Please note that line just before his signature.

"Then its up and running."

Ron managed to get FreeBSD 10.1 running with OpenNMS 1.14.0.2 and killed
it after 4 hours of it running in a stable fashion.  However, his
attempts to get it running with FreeBSD 10.1 and openjdk17 1.7.0_71-b14
failed.

Could someone please push this up to the OpenJDK people and figure out
what is wrong?

Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opennms/?source=typ_redirect

1) Unpack it
2) install pkgs jicmp, jicmp6, jrrd, iplike and postgresql9.x
3) Go into the source directory.
4) set JAVA_HOME to the path given by 'which java'
5) set JAVA_VENDOR to openjdk
6) ./compile.pl
7) ./assemble.pl -Dopennms.home=/usr/local/opennms
8) copy from the <source>/targets/ opennms-1.14.x.x.tar.gz to
/usr/local/opennms
9) Go to the install directory and unpack it.
10) from the install directory run ./bin/runjava -s
11) same directory run ./bin/install -dis
12) since it's not a port, start it with:  ./bin/opennms start
13) browse to http://localhost:8980/opennms/

*shrug*  I believe I've done all the leg work that I can on this. I'm
not someone who can debug the openjdk 1.7 and figure out why this is
bombing out.

So, I'm asking, in the truest sense of the FreeBSD community, please help.

Thank you,

P.
8) configure postgresql to have a role for opennms and password
9)