Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 12:29:26 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        root@synthcom.com (Neil Bradley)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS File system fixes

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Neil Bradley wrote:

> It would be heinous to support something like DBLSPACE. ;-)

Hmmm.... :-)

Actually, though, I feel that if we can't support the msdosfs _as_it_is_
used_, then we aren't living up to "FreeBSD is better" and the msdosfs
support is more something to look good on the features list than an
actual benefit. I know one of the big gripes about one of the OS/2 WARP
releases was that it didn't want to have anything to do with compressed
drives. DBLSPACE should be in there somewhere (though admittedly not a top
priority).

> . . . . .
> Something like INT 14h could be simulated very easily with IOCTL calls to
> the sio's.

The 0x14 stuff (serial I/O) is pretty brain-dead. I can't see anyone
happily running SLIP/PPP at 1200 bps.... :-)

Seriously, though, I think the BIOS support needs to be very specific
rather than general, and only as a last resort for "DOS-specific"
hardware.

--
Robert Nordier
rnordier@iafrica.com