Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:10:06 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fsck freezes on  Phase 2 - Check Pathnames

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:02:41 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

>Francisco Reyes wrote:
>>
>> One of my FreeBSD machines froze. I pressed reset (keyboard not
>> responding).
>> Upon coming back it has been freezen when trying to fsck /usr
>> (/dev/ad0s1f).
>>
>> It has been freezing when doing Phase 2 check.

>How large is the /usr part?

Just 15Gb. It doesn't take that long.

>Are you sure it's frozen and not just taking
>a long time?

I am certain. Not even the keyboard would respond.

>I had this happen a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to determine the cause.

I found it must be a problem, of some strange sort, with the
machine.
Took the drive to another machine and it ran fsck with no
problems.
The strange thing is that I have run a hardware test program
against the machine and it can not find anything wrong. I
figured maybe bad memory may be to blame.

>You have been making backups, correct?

I am doing one right now. :-)
That machine is actually where I store my backups from other
machines, but I have been failing to save data which is uniquely
on that machine. I am doing so as I type this. Also I am
thinking of bringing back to use a tape drive I have sitting
around. I probably will give bru tape backup program a test to
see how it works.