Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Iasen Kostov <ikostov@otel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: host routes for interface addresses

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Iasen Kostov wrote:

> It works fine (just a warrning) with 4.4 kernel and before, but in 4.5
> there is a check for host route addition and if it fail to add a route
> it also fails to set iface address (ofcourse I've patch it for myself).
>   I need this not just for saving IPs but it's somewhat easier to route
> just throw iface i not to care about iface IPs. And something more, You
> know that the router has 1 IP and thats it , don't care on which iface
> Your are connected right now, it has 1 IP and thats your gateway.
>   This scheme looks a bit like Cisco's "ip unnumbered" interfaces and I
> don't think it's a bad idea.

  You might want to take a look at Marko Zec's VIPA patches that he posted to
-net a few days ago.  You should be able to find it in the mailing list
archives under the subject "Patch for review: source VIPA".
  If you have the time to review/test his patches, then perhaps we can get
it into a future release of FreeBSD (solving your problem with a viable
long-term solution).  Thanks,

  Kelly
  kbyanc@{posi.net,FreeBSD.org}