Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:15:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joe Lira <joe@joe.to>
To:        support@wholesalehosting.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote Newbie

answer to one of your questions, and one of my own:

> - creating alias.yourname.com accounts and

if you have user fred, and you want fred to get mail for fsmith and
fred_smith, add the following to /etc/aliases

# fred aliases
fsmith:  	fred
fred_smith:     fred

or if someone without an account wants to have an alias, add:

#external aliases
fsmith:		fred@realmail.com
fred_smith:	fred@realmail.com

then after either of these, at a prompt type
newaliases

now i have a question for everyone. i have about 20 users with shell and
email accounts. i made an alias like:

all_users:		joe,john,susan,dave,mark,mike,charlie

to send email to all my users.
but there's a few problems with this:
1) it doesn't scale well. if i ever have 100+ users, it will be very hard
to figure out if someone is not in that alias, and its a lot of overhead
hassle to add and subtract names from it manually every time i add or
remove a user
2)anyone in the world can spam all my users by sending mail to all_users

is there a simpler/better way to send email to all users?

thanks

joe
joe@joe.to
www.joe.to