Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:30:11 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4->RELENG_4 error when running make...

> Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:28:51 -0400
> From: Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2, and I've never had a problem
> compiling a kernel after cvsup with "config / make depend / make / make
> install". I always delete my compile directory prior to config, maybe
> that is why it has always worked.

And you have rebuilt from source to get up to STABLE? This should not
be possible. The config / make depends / make technique simply will
not work across the change in the Makefiles. The new kernel will not
build with the old .mk files. Only make buildkernel will use the new
makefiles before they are installed in the system.

Of course, if you installed the new system before building the new
kernel, you would not have hit this problem, but you are living
dangerously when you install the new world and try to run with the old
kernel.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)