Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 22:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Charlie Root <root@ftp1.mfn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in IPFW

As others have stated, it's a config option in the kernel.  The main
reason that it should be there is to avoid a DoS attack by someone wanting
to fill your /var partition.  The one thing I'm curious about is if it
ever resets itself...  It is nice to know if someone's banging on a port
they shouldn't be, I see *tons* of snmp probes of our routers and the
subnets containing most of our public machines, usually from Canada for
some odd reason(??!?)

You can manually reset the counters with "ipfw zero".

You could probably cron that each day if you want, that way you can see
what you denied in your daily security mailing, and you'd still be
protected from /var fillage as long as it's a "watched" machine.

I highly recommend printing out the man page as a reference, ipfw is very
useful, and very well documented...

Good Luck,

Charles

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
----
                           "I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
                           Just a mortal with potential of a superman
                           I'm living on"      -DB