Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:27:40 -0600
From:      "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTP and firewall--HELP

help please kind people! :)

I need to set up a FTP serever, no virtual hosts, no anon, just user
accounts. User accounts need to be chrooted (/etc/ftpchroot works fine). For
those requirements, the stock daemon works fine, but I can't firewall the
freaking thing to save my life.

But without opening virtually all ports 1024 and up, how can I effectively
use FTP in a firewall? I seem to be able to get connections to work, but any
PASSIVE transfers fail due to blocked ports. Disabling the firewall corrects
the problem. Non-passive transfers also work, but too many clients enable
passive mode by default.