Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:56:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, hackers@freebsd.org

> >The ability to resize partitions in itself is worthwhile.
> >
> >JFS or VXFS-like, metadata logging for increased robustness and faster
> >reboots without the need for fsck in regular operation would also be nice.
>
> This would be nice.  Terry Lambert mentioned that he had implemented
> a read only version of JFS, perhaps this would be a good start?

It depends on some intermediate work that has not been committed.  I
have most recently torn apart the VOP_READDIR interface to get rid of
"cookies" for NFS; this is a pretty significant change, since it
classes seperate FS "consumers" (the syscall interface is a consumer,
NFS is a consumer, any other kernel file server -- NetWare, AFS, RFS,
etc. -- would also be a consumer).

> Does JFS also use linear directory structures though?

No.

> I noticed while reading through some docs on XFS, that it implemented
> directories as b-trees.  Im not quite sure how one would implement
> this, but it sure seems like it would be a win..

Depends.  Do you have a strong requirement that they be balanced?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.