Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 15:00:40 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Easy editors

> aliasing is better.  you can do that with sh also!  just add >alias
> "sh cmd sequence"< in profile or whatever.

It's amazing what I can continue to learn: so FreeBSD's sh support
aliases, even.  What a wonderful world!  :-)

> ps.  why do i see so much of csh?  from everything i read and hear
> it broken from the design end on up and it's only benefit is a C
> like inequality op?

I think tcsh (and csh in a pinch) makes a perfectly fine interactive
shell but sh isn't as nicely suited for interactivity.  Likewise,
csh/tcsh is a terrible scripting shell; but sh is great for scripts.

Be sure to read "Csh programming considered harmful" at:

 http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-faq/unix-faq-shell-csh-whynot.html

So, my login shell is /usr/local/bin/tcsh.  But all the scripts I
write are /bin/sh scripts (plus a bunch of tcl and perl scripts for
good measure).

Take care.

--k