Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:46:19 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bbcc.ctc.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

At 02:52 PM 2/15/99 , Chris Coleman wrote:
>I just spoke with my contacts at gateway.  We are one of their major
>accounts, so they do take some notice of us.  I asked them about shipping
>computers with FreeBSD installed, instead of WinNT.  My contact is going
>to look up the person in the engineering department that I would need to
>send "Evaluation Copies" of FreeBSD to.
>
>(Jordan, I might need some FreeBSD CD's soon :-)
>
>She said that she hasn't had any demand for alternative OS's and didn't
>see it on their immediate software road map.
>
>Well, it looks like it is time to generate some demand, or at least some
>notice.
>
>You might suggest to your contacts at Gateway, (if you don't have any,
>make some) that it would be really great if they would ship their web
>servers with FreeBSD.
>
>Or, suggest that you would like to see "FreeBSD Certified" on their web
>pages.
>
>Since Dell is offering Linux, its probably a good time to focus on Gateway
>to get them to offer FreeBSD.

Yeah it's such a shame that any recent Gateway 2000 product I've had has
died relatively shortly.  Thus I no longer have anyone purchase from there.

It's unfortunate that their motherboards are Certified-Micronics POS.

My 386DX-33 (2499$ from Gateway at the time) ran fine.  It was the first
machine I ever used FreeBSD (or Linux on (0.99pl22 of Slackware at that
time)).  For 4mb/120mb it was a pretty decent machine for the job  and did
not die before it was put down.

The 486-SX33 killed 4 motherboards.  The P166MMX Destination at work killed
2, until I finally just replaced the base with a Sony VAIO PCV-210.

My current machine is a Supermicro SC701-A Case with a P6DBS mainboard.  I
think I'll stick to building and designing.  This machine is pretty
beastly.  However, I do really like the 6 Sony PCV-210's I managed to snag
for 899$ a piece.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP DSS/1024 Public Key ID: 0x409A1F7D