Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 00:18:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas

Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
 %      4. We have not good c++ compiler.
 %         gcc is great, but exceptions and namespaces are
 %         very important stuff for c++ programmers.
 %         And standart string class yet not well in 2.2-stable.

Jerry Hicks writes:
 > Even so, we really do get more *done* on FreeBSD than our other
 > systems.  There are enough people using and developing for gcc that some
 > critical mass has been reached.  It'll happen.  Probably way before Java
 > is complete.

Exceptions and namespaces, and many other features of C++, are important
for language lawyers interested in excercising every feature of a
language.  While useful features, their absence certainly does not
preclude you from developing high-quality working applications.

GCC represents a fine working subset of C++ useful for a great number of
commercial applications, including every one I have written in the last
6 years of my career.  This includes large scale applications (as large
as 600,000 lines of code) on both UNIX and embedded systems.

 > We use RogueWave tools.h++ for commercial C++ apps.  Works nicely.

Yuh.  Probably works nicely even on FreeBSD, huh?  ;^)