Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:50:55 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
Subject:   Re: URGENT

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 09:12:25AM -0400, Stephen Hovey typed:

> > > The spam on this list is pretty phenomenal. Was it always this
> > > bad?
> >

> > I don't think so.  Then again, spam has gotten a lot worse everywhere
> > over the last year or so.
> >
> > Then again, if questions@freebsd.org was like 95% of the email lists
> > out there and didn't allow anyone in the whole wide world to post
> > without being a listmember, I *guarantee* it would not be as bad as
> > it is now.
> >

> I think this was talked about in the past and the reasoning had something
> to do with a problem of legit users not gettin it on their from addresses
> in that arrangement (in other words signing up one way, but emailing from
> another)...  Personally, I think if you cant figure out that piece, you
> should be a windows user..

From /etc/motd (what every newbee will read after the first successfull
installation):

If you still have a question or problem, please take the output of
`uname -a', along with any relevant error messages, and email it
as a question to the questions@FreeBSD.org mailing list.

I consider this an excellent service provided by FreeBSD.