Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:34:40 +0800
From:      Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Resolving hostname takes too long

Hello all,

I have quite a niggling problem with my box. It takes too long to resolve=
=20
hostname; ranges between 15 to 30 secs. My box serves as a gateway and ip=
fw=20
machine. Other machines on this network that connects to this machine don=
't=20
exhibit this particular problem, resolving hostname is pretty quick.=20

I've tried many things; amongst them putting an open firewall just to see=
 if=20
ipfw has anything to do with it; resolving still takes too much time. Thi=
s=20
machine also serves as a private name server but I doubt that would get i=
n=20
the way as I've disabled the private name server in resolv.conf; only=20
pointing to my ISP name servers.

I have another problem which I think is related. Establishing SSH and FTP=
=20
sessions (the only traffics I tested) from another machine to this machin=
e=20
slow down to a crawl. Only after the establishments did everything ie:=20
transferring files is running smooth. Before this everything is fast,=20
connecting to my private FTP is blazingly fast, I did't even have the tim=
e to=20
read the displayed log. Now when I'm doing it I can read and speak out lo=
udly=20
every single word while they are displaying. Even connecting to my ISP FT=
P=20
server is quicker. Connecting is just too slow for convenience sake. Ditt=
o=20
SSH.

I implement DHCP in addition to the name server which use UDP traffic *wh=
ich*=20
I think, after reading the pertinent man pages, *may* have something to d=
o=20
with UDP timeout or something like that. To change this default attribute=
,=20
I'd have to edit a kernel variable through sysctl. How do I know the righ=
t=20
variable?

I'm really at a loss over this. This box serve as my main desktop machine=
, no=20
longer using Windows and hope to become a convert.