Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:15:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        davep@afterswish.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware inturrupts mostly kiling 4.3R

Your text was one line per paragraph.

On Friday,  1 June 2001 at 20:58:30 -0700, davep@afterswish.com wrote:
> The 4.3R machine that was acting as my gateway, webserver etc. was
> working fine until yesterday. I moved a number of the machines it was
> attached to, but didn't change the machine itself and now it's
> behaving badly.
>
> Closer inspection reveals I'm getting around 290 hardware
> interrupts/sec from *somewhere* and this is takng 75% of processor
> time:

>  procs      memory     page                    disks     faults      cpu
>  r b w     avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr ad0 ac0   in   sy  cs us sy id
>  0 0 0   36576 26236   11   0   0   0   7   0   0   0  293  109  21  1 76 23
>  0 0 0   36576 26236    5   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  286   18   7  0 75 25
>  0 0 0   36576 26236    3   0   0   0   0   0   4   0  290   22   8  0 75 25
>

> Apologies if that's illegible,

That part was fine.  It was the rest of the message which was mangled.

> but it shows 290 interrupts/sec, approx 10 cs/sec, no dsk activity,
> and page faults settle down to a constant 3/sec. Running ps ax shows
> that no userland programs have any significant loadings.
>
> It's an old machine (P200) so there may be a hardware fault going
> on. The PSU was making some interesting noises and once it failed to
> power up the disk drive on boot, so it could be that on the way. The
> disk is IDE and very new, so should be OK and fsck shows no errors
> (is there a better check?). Could it be an error on the swap
> partition? How would I check?

It's unlikely to be a swap problem, since you don't have any disk
activity, assuming you only have one disk.

> So, is there any way I can find out where the interrupts are coming
> from? I don't want to just bin the machine, or reinstall, because
> that would be crap and I wouldn't learn anything.
>
> Please reply direct to this email address, like I said my 'main'
> machine is elsewhere rght now and I'm having to do this off webmail
> with a machine whose 'I' key s knackered!

Hmm.  This is an interesting problem.  As Dan Nelson observed, 300
interrupts a second is nothing; when printing with a fast machine, it
can go as high as 50,000.  But the interrupt time is crippling: it
seems that the interrupts are using too much time.

In 4.3 there's no way to measure the time each individual interrupt
handler is using (that will come in 5.0), but my guess is that this is
the Ethernet card(s).  Kernel profiling will tell you more, but it's a
relatively complicated thing to do.  Are you running a firewall?  Are
you possibly being hit by a lot of packets which fall all the way
through the rules?  Do a tcpdump on your external interface and see
what you're getting.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.