Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 14:04:43 -0400
From:      Ron Steele <ron@infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optical Jukebox support in FreeBSD

At 05:24 PM 7/8/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Eric J. Schwertfeger writes:
>>
>> How capable is FreeBSD of supporting 2 terrabytes worth of CD jukeboxes?
>
>No more than any other operating system, I would think.
>
>> I can't see buying several million in hard drives, but a CD jukebox may be
>> affordable, and this information shouldn't be updated too often.
>>
>> O.K., I admit that even if it does work, the numbers will be so staggering
>> that my boss will turn all sorts of colors, and the project will get
>> killed or redesigned, but I at least want to have the numbers available.
>
>OK, let's look at the numbers first.  Assuming you have every CD-ROM
>full to the gunwhales with data (666 MB), you'll need 15,000 CD-ROMs.
>The biggest junk box I know holds 7 CD-ROMs, so you'd need a good 2000
>drives.  At 7 drives per host adaptor, you'd need the best part of 300
>host adaptors (why does this remind me of St Ive's?)  There's no way
>you can address that number of SCSI devices on a PC.
>
>Of course, if you can find a *real* juke box, like an overgrown
>version of the real juke boxes they had in the 50's, and you can put
>1000 disks in one device, you should be able to do it with two host
>adaptors.  But I don't know of any such device.
>
>Greg

I think the question does not refer to CD-ROMs.  Optical jukes are
available with platters of at least 5GB each that I know of, and likely
bigger.  Even the 5 1/4" HP disks hold something like 1.3GB each.

For the most part, once the disk is in place, these look like a normal
SCSI drive, although some are worm.  It is a question of controling the
robot arm and getting the drive spun up.

Ron