Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:45:32 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Matthew Dillon' <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: another ufs panic..

	[ML]  Another point in case (okay, it is a bit wild goose) but
years ago I have had problems with my SCSI disk which not even parity
could detect (in fact, raw device writes and reads displayed bit
errors).  Eventually I have discovered that an IDE disc was probably
generating a lot of electrical noise on the bus (even when not spoken
to).  As soon as I have removed the IDE disc, the bit errors simply
disappeared (and haven't reappeared ever since).  This is a venue worth
of research.  Funny enough, I did not have any problems when accessing
that particular IDE disk.

	On the second thought, I think that the noise propagated through
the power supply, because the bit errors were there even when the IDE
disc was disconnected from the "controller" but still attached to the
power.  I guess the errors were actually generated somewhere in the
analog part of the SCSI disc (but I could not tell where since the
parity and ECC control in the disc should have detected that, but I am
not altogether sure if I have had the proper mode page bits turned
on--it was the L-thing--yes, that long ago--and they did not have
scsi(8)/camcontrol(8) at that time):

	Darren, this could possibly be your problem as well since you
seem to have a lot of hardware hanging off the same power
supply--prehaps it just cannot regulate any more.  You could test that
by writing a known pattern to the raw device and then reading it
back--just make sure that the tar runs on EIDE drive writing into the
bit-bucket so that the EIDE does not spin down and that it keeps
seeking--both actions take a lot of power.

	/Marino