Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:49:21 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        tyl <tyl@project.m2.ntu.edu.tw>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make cdrecord work

On Tue, 20-Jul-1999 at 00:35:07 +0800, tyl wrote:
> Thanks for your help first, after using "boot -v" to view the detail
> messages, I found something ...
>
> ahc0: internal 50 cable is present, internal 68 cable not present
> ahc0: external cable not present

Are you using automatic termination?
Never use automatic termination! :-)

> pass0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> pass4 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> pass4: <RICOH MP6200S 2.20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> pass4: Serial Number 3
> pass4: 3.300MB/s transfer
> (cd2:ahc0:0:6:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (cd2:ahc0:0:6:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
> (cd2:ahc0:0:6:0): Medium not present
> cd2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> cd2: <RICOH MP6200S 2.20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd2: Serial Number 3
> cd2: 3.300MB/s transfers
> cd2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

OK, pass4 is the /dev/pass device you need.

What does  "camcontrol devlist -v" say?

> Basically, it looks like nothing special, except that I put my CD-RW in a
> external box. Despite the messages says "external cable not present"
> It seems that FreeBSD still find the CD-RW :)
>
> When I try to make kernel...
>
> # For CDR
> device          pass0
> device          ch0     # <--- Is it need ??

I don't think so. Its a changer device I use for my DLT changer.

> device          pass4   at scbus0 target 6
> device          cd2     at scbus0 target 6
>
> I got the warning when "config" my kernel ...
> Warning: pass4 is configured at scbus0 which is not fixed at a single adapter.
> Warning: cd2 is configured at scbus0 which is not fixed at a single adapter.

Hmm, don't know what that means. Try something like the following
but replace all non da devices to the appropriate thing (cd,...)
It seems that you have at least 3 CDROMs/Cdwriters in the machine.

controller      ahc0
controller      scbus0  at ahc0
device          pass0   at scbus0 target 0
device          da0     at scbus0 target 0
device          pass1   at scbus0 target 1
device          da1     at scbus0 target 1
device          pass2   at scbus0 target 2
device          da2     at scbus0 target 2
device          pass3   at scbus0 target 3
device          da3     at scbus0 target 3
device          pass4   at scbus0 target 4
device          da4     at scbus0 target 4
device          pass5   at scbus0 target 5
device          da5     at scbus0 target 5
device          pass6   at scbus0 target 6
device          cd0     at scbus0 target 6

> sigh, after rebooting, execute "cdrecord -scanbus", still the message
> Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed.
> cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot open SCSI driver.
>
> p.s. Of course, the Cd-RW can be mounted as a normal CD-ROM :)
>
> Is the reason due to I use current FreeBSD ? or maybe I should compile

Don't know about current, I use -STABLE.

> cdrecord by myself not use the package ?

I would always use the port.

Are you running cdrecord as root? Maybe it can't access /dev/xpt0 and
/dev/passxxx.

	-Andre