Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:16:30 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Craig Whipp <crwhipp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Pierre Pronchery <khorben@defora.org>
Subject:   Re: astro/foxtrotgps (1.1.1_1 from ports SVN r315646) crashes on start

El día Monday, April 29, 2013 a las 09:24:16PM -0700, Craig Whipp escribió:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:50:32 +0200
> Pierre Pronchery <khorben@defora.org> wrote:
>
> > 			Hey,
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 05:40:32PM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> > > The attached patch (to be placed in
> > > astro/foxtrotgps/files/patch-src-main before 'make install') fixes
> > > the bug;
> >
> > thank you for the patch, it fixes the reproducible crash upon startup,
> > and I have committed it to pkgsrc-wip.
> >
> > However, I am afraid that it may break functionality, and allow only
> > the main Gtk+ thread to start. Map download in particular was
> > performed in a separate thread in TangoGPS IIRC, and here foxtrot
> > doesn't download anything... I'm afraid this issue results from the
> > patch. It may be more work than just this to get it to run properly :/
> >
> > Please let me know if it works better for you.

I've tested the patched foxtrotgps this morning and can confirm:
- it does not crash on startup anymore
- it fetches missing tiles (I watched with TCPDUMP to make that sure);

> I don't have a CURRENT machine to test this on.  FoxtrotGPS works fine
> on 9.1-RELEASE, without the patch.  What's the difference between 9.1
> and -CURRENT that would cause this to break?

I have an older VM with:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD vm-9Current 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #2 r220692: Sun Apr 17 03:28:12 CEST 2011

$ head Makefile
# $FreeBSD: ports/astro/foxtrotgps/Makefile,v 1.3 2011/03/25 20:30:54 amdmi3 Exp $
#

PORTNAME=       foxtrotgps
PORTVERSION=    1.0.0
PORTREVISION=   2

in this older kernel + ports the foxtrotgps works as well unpatched; maybe now
in -CURRENT (and ports from SVN head) there has something changed in the
Gtk shared libs; my patch contains a comment to some thread about a
discussion of the same problem in tangGPS and I have just derived as I
wild guess the change from this discussion (see the reply there from
Kirill of 9th October 2012). For sure, one could compile gdk and gtk
with debug symbols and step down with gdb to verify this.  I will let
this for someone else :-)

> For what it's worth, my initial testing shows that map tile downloads
> seem to work fine on 9.1-RELEASE with the patch applied, too.

Good to know. I'd apply the patch to ports /head if it works for me and
Pierre and does not break 9.1-RELEASE

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211