Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:54:41 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Clark Mankin" <cmankin@harbornet.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

On Thursday 17 January 2002 06:15 pm, Clark Mankin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using various Linux platforms for 5 years with excellent results.
>  I have an oddly configured network because it's on a rented netblock
> inside another netblock.  The resulting netmask being 255.248.
>
> BSD apparently has some difficulty with this (I'm not certain what the
> problem is, just guessing.)
>
> Under Linux, the OS asks all the right questions, has places to input all
> the required information, and even as a bright green newbie I brought up a
> fairly complicated network first try and it has run for 5 years in spite of
> various upgrades, changes in the underlying platform etc.
>
> FreeBSD networking refuses to run.  I can't input the required information
> by manual means (following the instructions in Greg Lehey's book) and the
> /stand/sysinstall script does not collect enough information from the user
> to make the network fly.
>
> For example, whereas it's true my "default router", as you call it, is at
> IP 209.180.198.22 I can only get there on eth0 (xl0 - ep0 ??) via the

Not to stop you from paying somebody money for their FreeBSD expertise, but I
can tell you that you don't have an eth0 on FreeBSD; you have some particular
interface (ifconfig will show them), and you'll have to figure out which one
connects (directly or indirectly) to the router.  The name depends on chipset
of the card.  I found this odd at first myself but it can be quite convenient
when you need to distinguish between different interfaces; anyway, that's
pretty easy to deal with.

> gateway of 0.0.0.0 and unfortunately BSD is completely unwilling to accept

Your gateway is 0.0.0.0 ?  That's . . . um . . . rather unconventional, isn't
it?  I thought that was a reserved (illegal) IP address.  In fact, I'm really
pretty sure that it is.  Does Linux really accept a 0.0.0.0 address?

> this information.  It's as though BSD expects me to have a hard wired
> direct connection to the gateway device.  That's not how I'm configured.  I
> have an ethernet router connected to a switch that feeds the other machines
> on the network.  \\

Thta shouldn't be any problem.  Lots of us have a setup like *that*.  What
you want for your machines gateway is the address of the your router--the one
immediately upstream from you.  It's *that* router's job to route the packets
upstream from there.

However, in my experience this all the works same way under Linux as it does
under FreeBSD.  Granted my Linux experience is rapidly deteriorating, but
certainly a year or two ago they weren't radically divergent.  In both cases
(heck, in *all* cases and all O/S's), the default router of interest is the
one just upstream from you--that's the whole design of the internet protocol
(IP).

PS: The easiest way to configure an individual machine, if you can, is to
just use DHCP and let it do the configuration for you.  Is your router a DHCP
server?  If so, just set DHCP on the interface in your /etc/rc.conf and it'll
work "like magic" just as in Windows or Linux.  This *was* a choice from the
installer.  I'm quite sure of that--it's the way that I always install.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org