Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:54:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        a.revolutionist@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice for Stripping the Kernel

In message: <1169198894.6838.6.camel@aRevolutionist>
            aRevolutionist <a.revolutionist@gmail.com> writes:
: I am about to almost completely strip FreeBSD's kernel. The kernel shall
: be stripped of sockets, drivers, memory management, and alot more.
: Basically, what I shall be left with is a kernel with a few system
: calls, only paging for memory management, support for only one file
: system and a few other things. What advice does anyone have to give me
: before I begin? Also, what section of the kernel is recommended to begin
: the stripping?

Many of the items that you think you need to strip can be omitted with
options.  One file system, for example, is easy: just compile with
only UFS support.  Drivers are easy too.  TCP/IP can be removed as
well.

However, the ability to have multiple mount points is hard to strip
out, and wouldn't get you much.  I don't think that you can remove
sockets entirely without modifications to the kernel.  Stripping down
the vm system would also be a challange.

What are you space contraints?

Warner