Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:21:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APC PowerChute under FreeBSD

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> I've seen it, but it appears to support only 220v models and
> has a very poor documentation.

What documentation?   :)

Actually, adding support for new models is pretty trivial.
However, I'm not using it at all for the moment because it had
some problems with FreeBSD 3.0-BETA that I haven't even begun to
investigate.  I'd actually like to find something else because
on the surface the upsd config file looks relatively simple and
flexible but in practice it is incomprehensible and I've failed
to get it to do anything beyond the simplest of shutdown
procedures.

>   I've also tried the Linux apcupsd (binary only), but it also seems
> to have an ioctl emulation incompatibility.  And I thought serial ports
> were the most portable device between unixen, after /dev/null.  :)

Since I've just been working in the guts of the emulator to get
Sybase running...what is the ioctl in question?

-john