Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:03:18 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Direct or indirect libdependencies (using the libintl.so.8 case)

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:
> The general argument follows below, I just need some anecdotal evidence
> first:
>
> Yesterday, I was chasing libintl.so.8, rebuilding all ports that got bumped,
> checking with libchk for other libintl.so.8 dependencies, and forcing a
> rebuild of all these packages: All but two of them had an indirect
> dependency on devel/gettext (and I did email the maintainers of devel/ccrtp
> and textproc/gsed linking without a dependency).
>
> Then I did a complete scan for libintl.so.8 and found one file linking
> libintl.so.8 that was outside the path that libchk scans (
> share/examples/telepathy-qt4/call/.libs/call from net-im/telepathy-qt4).
> Yes, 'portupgrade -fr' would have been better as suggested in UPDATING.
>
> So far, no surprise.
>
> Now, many ports got bumped adding a direct dependency that already have an
> indirect one. These got rebuild yesterday, either by checking with libchk or
> by following UPDATING and rebuilding all (indirect) dependencies, and now
> have to be rebuild, again. To me, the new bump seems to be a waste, since
> AFAIU indirect and direct dependencies are not listed in the package any
> different.
>
> If bumping portrevisions would be done consequently -- for example by the
> build cluster recording libdependencies somehow that can be used as a basis
> for bumps -- it would help updating, but currently, bumping some
> portrevisions does not seem to help and only causes rebuilds being wasted as
> in this case.
>
> Moreover, there does not seem to be an agreement, if direct libdependencies
> should be listed with indirect already existing. Several just got them added
> for gettext, but when I asked for one to be introduced on another occasion,
> it got removed shortly afterward again with pav@ explaining to me that they
> are not desirable: "We should not explicitly state any indirect dependencies
> of any kinds. For the sake of simplicity." This was the commit:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2009-May/288801.html -- I do not
> see a difference to the current case.
>
> I think that libdependencies should be recorded for making portrevision
> bumps consistent -- either by trying to introduce direct libdenpendencies
> for every port that links a shared library or by recording real shared
> library dependencies externally (maybe by the build cluster).
>
> Currently, sometimes all direct and indirect portrevisions are bumped,
> sometimes only the direct ones, and sometimes none at all -- in the second
> and third case with instructions in UPDATING to rebuild recursively. For one
> of my machines, I can use libchk to occasionally check if something is left
> behind, but for all of the machines I transfer packages to, I keep recording
> lists of packages that need a forced rebuild. I somehow feel that that
> should be an automated task (done by the ports framework itself).

> [...]

I think that devel/gettext is an unfortunate exception to the rule as
it infects everything under the sun with its `international catalog
support'.

I haven't done portmaster -af in a long time, but unfortunately some
things aren't working as expected (gthumb segfaults on certain
directories), so here we go...

-Garrett