Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:18:29 +0100
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net>
To:        "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Zottl <julianz@vsl.cua.edu>
Subject:   Re: Bridging and routing problem...

Raymundo M. Vega wrote:
[...]
> Rather than answer if bridging is better for your
> network, I like to point thet you will have better
> control in the firewall if you use it as a gateway.

The packets must go through the firewall whether they are bridged or
routed, so the firewall rules apply in both cases. IMHO there's no
difference in the amount of control.

> This is in man bridge:
>
>      Set to 1 to enable ipfw filtering on bridged packets.  Note that ipfw
>      rules only apply to IP packets.  Non-IP packets are subject to the de-
>      fault ipfw rule (number 65535) which must be an allow rule if we want ARP
>      and other non-IP packets to flow through the bridge.

To let ARP through, there's
  ${fwcmd} add 300 pass udp from 0.0.0.0 2054 to 0.0.0.0
(stolen from /usr/src/etc/rc.firewall) to allow this, so a default
'deny' rule is possible with a bridge, unless you have other non-IP
protocols.

> If you use it as a gateway, you can filter TCP/UDP packets as well.

You can certainly filter both TCP and UDP with a bridge.

Greetings,
	Bernd