Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:39:01 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why did cvsup cvsup me from 4.0-stable to 4.1RC?

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:46:11AM +0200, Mark Rowlands wrote:
[snip]

> This, to me, indicates that I have some fundamental misunderstandings re cvsup /
> release tags . I thought the above would track  4-stable in perpetuity.
>
> so what have I done wrong  ?

Nothing. You have 4-STABLE. All 4.x-RELEASEs where ( x > 0 ) are
simply snapshots of STABLE. However, before a RELEASE version is
blessed as such from the STABLE brach, it must be ensured to be stable
(as opposed to STABLE, if you know what I mean). During this time
committing changes is limited only to important upgrades and bug-fixes,
and the STABLE branch is temporarily called "RELEASE CANDIDATE" to
note it.

> Should I care?

Not really. It's still STABLE.

> does  4.1 = 4.0+ so many fixes and enhancements we decided to have a new
> release nuimber?

It's more schedule driven than a certain volume of changes.

> Will this my cvsup file  eventually track  4.1-STABLE?

You are tracking the STABLE branch, and eventually it will be called
4.1-STABLE. Yes.