Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:19:08 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:14:50PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Developers and early adopters are the ones tracking -STABLE. Users are
> > installing binary snapshots and releases.
>
> Some users do install snapshots and/or releases.  Snap shots occur on a
> regular basis and are affected by this change in API.

If they use the module from the same snapshot/release, it's not a problem.

> > No-one in their right mind would release a module for "4.0-STABLE sometime
> > between april and may". They release for 4.0-RELEASE or 4.1-RELEASE,
> > this would not cause problems for those people.
>
> Ahh.. the problem occurs with user Z running snap 4.0-stable 4/30 when trying
> to use vendor X module for 4.0-release.  Get it??

When the requirements for software are "FooBaz Version 1.2" that means "FooBaz Version
1.2".

If the vendor markets software as "FreeBSD version 4.0 or later", that's their problem.

The entire point is that somewhere the user has decided to upgrade their system, and
they need to know what the consequences are before taking the plunge. If they upgrade
their system half-ass (kernel, but not modules) they are digging their own grave.

If they have 3rd party modules, they need to understand that those modules may not
work if you're tracking changes. That's life. I don't expect my 3rd party voodoo 3000
drivers for Win98 to work in Win2000 either.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
Computer Horizons Corp - CVM