Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:09:51 -0500
From:      kschmidt@cs.utk.edu
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tape drives: any new support soon?

Greetings,

I have a few of questions about some tape drives/tape formats that I'm
thinking of purchasing soon, specifically those that have the floppy
interface (I'm not quite ready to go SCSI just yet).

>From what I've gathered from the FAQ, only QIC-02 and QIC-40/QIC-80 tape
formats are currently supported (for non-SCSI systems).  I'm wondering:

1) Will there be support for tape drives that use the QIC-3010/QIC-3020
   or the TR-1/TR-3 tape formats?

2) Can any tape drive that is read/write compatible with the QIC-80
   format be used currently, or is support for the "designed" format of
   the tape drive a necessary condition?  I.e., could I currently use a
   Travan tape drive (designed for TR-1 tapes) using QIC-80 tapes?

3) Will there be support for tape drives that use a parallel port
   interface (using any of the above mentioned formats)?

By "Will there be support for ...?", I mean "Are there any plans (or
rumors of plans) for any support in any upcoming release (even as far
away as FreeBSD 3.1.4) for ...?"

If there's need for further clarification, I'll do what I can.  My
knowledge of tape drives is about one week old, and I still don't
understand everything involved.

Thank you for any information you can give me.
-Ken Schmidt