Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 96 11:46:24 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org (Users of FreeBSD -current)
Subject:   How to develop software and track current?

I'm currently about to start some active work on the ISDN software,
and I face a problem: I'm also tracking -current.  How to I ensure
that I get my updates to -current and also maintain the modifications
I make to the ISDN software?  The problem is compounded by the fact
that I don't get on very well with cvs, so if the following text
contains nonsense, please be nice :-) I can see a number of
possibilities:

1.  Create a new cvs tag, say "2.2-CURRENT-grog", and put all my
    changes there.  The problem I anticipate here are that I won't be
    able to automatically track the ctm updates.

2.  Check my changes in to 2.2-CURRENT every evening.  This seems to
    have a number of potential problems: first, if I forget to check
    in, I lose my updates, and secondly, somebody else might check in
    files which I have changed.  Presumably the latter action would
    cause the cvs update to blow up.

3.  Create a new directory outside the control of cvs.  This sounds
    like a real kludge.

This is obviously a problem that a lot of people have already solved,
at least to their own satisfaction.  If we can come up with a clean,
consistent way of doing it, I'll gladly contribute some documentation
on the subject.

Greg