Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:34:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: int link(const int inode, const char *name2)

> Someone said that you have to manually fsck, which means rebooting
> into single-user mode and running fsck; this is possible but I
> doubt it. The reason given was that the inode would be cleared on
> a normal fsck. My recollection is that this is true if the file is
> of size zero; otherwise, it goes into lost+found. On the other
> hand, it can't hurt to manually fsck....

A zero reference count file will be assumed to be a temp file and
cleared.  A file with a non-zero reference an n-1 or fewer real
references for a count fo n will go into lost+found on automatic fsck.

The danger is in the fsck -y.

There is also the danger that the recovery process could not be
initiated successfully if the system starupt created files and
(potentially) reused blocks from the file (probability depends on
file size relative to disk size times number of blocks allocated
for temp files of one kind or another on startup on that disk.

Better safe than sorry.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---