Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:29:15 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does this mean and how do I stop it ?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:56 +1000, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

> These entries appear frequently in the daily security report of
> a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE machine (Bind 8.2.x)
>
> > Connection attempt to UDP 127.0.0.1:2343 from 127.0.0.1:53

I don't care if everybody's telling you it's DNS *lookup* -- I
feel this is something different, since it's going *from* port 53
*to* something random(?).  So this could be some kind of DNS
wakeup signal for secondaries ("notification", but I don't
believe it since there's probably noone listening and there's no
point in having localhost as localhost's secondary:).  Or maybe
more probably it's a DNS _answer_ but it's arriving too late to
find the asking part listening?  I'm not convinced by the other
replies. :)  But it's clear that you only notice them since
log_in_vain is set.  Although the only log entry I get with this
is biff triggering at every email delivery (port 512).

If you feel that bind is too slow or too aggressive when putting
burdon on your machine you might want to have a look at dnscache
(which was renamed lately to djbdns).  It can be found in the
ports.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net