Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:01:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere distfiles - explain the process

--W15VgOcWckgIaG3msuC1qFwpPodVLUiRC

On 10/21/13 11:39, Lars Engels wrote:
> Maybe that can be written to a sqlite database?
> pkgng already uses them, so poudriere could do the same.
> Add the distfiles on the first run of "distclean" and then update the
> database
> every time "portsnap update" is run. Maybe even better if the database
> was part
> of the ports tree, just like the INDEX files.

pkgng doesn't know anything about distfiles.  By the time pkgng gets
it's claws into a new package it's already been compiled and the whole
question of what distfiles it was compiled from is pretty much moot.

Adding tracking of distfiles to /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite isn't going to
be something we put into pkgng -- it's basically not what pkgng is all
about.

On the other hand, if you want to hack on poudriere to give it more
intelligent distfile tracking capabilities, possibly involving storing
data via sqlite in some other file under /var/db/pkg then I'm sure that
would be received with interest.  (Although maybe not the sqlite part --
poudriere is currently pure shell with minimal dependencies, which is a
good thing.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew