Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:54:11 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to allow a driver to report unrecoverable write errors to the buf layer

In message <3DB048B5.21097613@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev writes:

>Hi folks,
>
>I noticed that FreeBSD buf/bio subsystem has one very annoying problem
>- once the write request is ejected into it, and write operation
>failed, there seemingly no way valid to tell the layer to drop the
>buffer. Instead, it retries the attempt over and over again, until
>reboot, even though originator of request (usually vfs layer) was
>already notified about failure and propagated error condition to the
>underlying user-lever program.

Yes, I noticed that appeared at some time.  That misfeature should be
removed in toto.

If a retry can solve the issue, it's the drivers responsibility to
retry as much as makes sense and then fail if it doesn't work.

Neither the buf nor the bio layer should get involved in those
retries.

If you really want to change the behaviour here, you should add a flag
on the buf going down, saying "Never, ever retry".