Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:44:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      matthew <matthew@netway.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spam removal

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:13:16AM -0800, Olga Zenkova wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Some of my FreeBSD users get to much spam daily. What
> > tools can anybody advice to stop it? Now I have
> > sendmail with access.db, which is already used but I
> > think it is not very effective at all. May be other
> > mail daemon or some additional tools for sendmail?
>
> I recommend bogofilter for per-user filtering.  Spamassassin is also
> highly recommended for site use.  I tend to dislike DNS-based
> filtering because it has a high rate of false positives, and it causes
> your users to lose legitimate mail if it's rejected at the mail
> server.

As far as I understand it, one does "not lose email" using dns-based
blacklists. The day i implemented it, my manager sent an email from
someone's home whose wireless AP was not secured. My manager recieved
a error mesg back, saying please visit this site, and it happened to be
an easy off blacklist. He punched in his ip, was automatically removed
and sent the email. Worked great. Too bad it got the most customer
complaints and i canned it. I use 3 now.

spamhaus
spamcop
dsbl

Feb 16 04:41:05 primx6 sm-mta-label[14301]: ruleset=check_relay,
arg1=[61.111.22.187], arg2=61.111.22.187, relay=sPacEoP@[61.111.22.187],
reject=550 5.7.1 Mail from 61.111.22.187 refused - see http://dsbl.org/

these 3 are now running non stop last months. not a peep from
our customers. these machines/ips on these blacklists represent,
the worst scum of the internet, as well as the dumbest.

%zcat /var/log/maillog.0.gz  | grep check_relay | grep refused | grep
sm-mta-label | wc -l
   98858

i dont remember how i lived without them.

now my named server uses 70 meg footprint.
root    13861 33.9  4.4 71180 69568  ??  S<sJ  6Feb04 5690:24.27
/usr/sbin/named

side effect! danger will robison. name server better not hit swap.